Support for Parents & Families

Support for parents and children in Cornwall...
Early Health Hub

What is the Early Help Hub?

The ‘front door’ to Early Help services led by Cornwall Council and Cornwall Foundation Trust.

Staff within the Early Help Hub will decide whether the child / young person is eligible for support and which service is most appropriate. This is usually in discussion with the person making the request and / or young person / family.

Who is eligible for Early Help services?

Children and young people who are aged pre-birth to 18. If a young person has a special educational need or disability, who have a need for early help care and support, this is extended up to age 25.

Who can request Early Help services?

  • Professionals, parents and young people can request early help.
  • Parents/carers must have Parental Responsibility (PR) if requesting a service for a child. 
  • Young people must be old enough to consent for support themselves (aged 13 or above). 
Support for domestic abuse and sexual violence...
Safer Futures
Safer Futures provides advicesupporteducationrecovery and behaviour change programmes for people affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence. Safer Futures also offers training to professionals.
If you or someone you know is in need of support the link below which will direct you on how to obtain confidential and discrete support.
Dealing with bereavement...
Penhaligon Friends
We are a Cornish charity supporting bereaved children, young people, parents and carers throughout the county. We offer children and young people the chance to meet others and share their experiences, as well as practical resources for children and parents.

We also deliver an extensive programme of training and advice for other childcare professionals and those interested in becoming a volunteer.

Over the years the organisation has grown and there are now 5 full time and 5 part time staff members and a dedicated team of over 80 volunteers. We have increased our partnership working and relationships with other agencies, thus broadening the opportunities for Cornish children to receive optimum support.

Mental health support...
If you have concerns regarding your Childs mental health and would like support or guidance please follow the link below where you will find contact details for support available in Cornwall:

If you have safeguarding concerns for a young person...
Multi-Agency Referral Unit (MARU)

If you have immediate concerns or are worried about a child or young person's safety please telephone the Multi Agency Referral Unit (MARU) on 0300 123 1116

Multi Agency Referral Unit (MARU)

The MARU provides a multi-disciplinary response to concerns about the welfare or safety of a child or young person in line with statutory guidance from Our Safeguarding Children Partnership for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. 

The multi-disciplinary team also provides advice and guidance to parents and professionals about the wide range of services available to children and families in Cornwall.

For further information on child protection and safeguarding, please visit: https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/health-and-social-care/childrens-services/child-protection-and-safeguarding/

Who to contact

0300 1231 116

School Nurse
Your School Nurse is available to your child and family from when they start school until they transition into adult services. This means your School Nurse will be accessible and visible to children and young people through primary school to secondary school with the aim of promoting health and wellbeing of the school aged population. Your School Nurse will support your child with any health issues when transitioning into adult services.

You can find out more about what school nurses can do to support you and your family by visiting their website: School nursing - Cornwall Council